Monday, July 16, 2012

Make 10 gallons of laundry detergent for 12 bucks!

       I declare Mondays DIY days! Today I want to share with you guys how to make 10 gallons of laundry detergent (that works!) for 12 bucks or less!


Homemade Laundry Detergent

Walmart sells 5 gallon buckets and lids in the hardware department. The bucket is about $2.50 and the lid is an additional dollar. 
Borax, Super Washing Soda and Fels Naptha are all found on the laundry aisle at Walmart and most other grocery stores. The bars are a dollar apiece and the Borax and Washing Soda are apx. 3 dollars a box. 
The essential oils I use are found at Walmart on the aisle where the incense and potpourri are located. These are generally used for simmer pots/oil burners but it works well for scenting your soap and will not harm your clothing. I usually mix lavender and vanilla spice. These bottles are 88 cents apiece.

That brings the total cost initial investment to around 12 dollars.

The next time you make it, all you will need to purchase is the soap bars and your essential oils. You should still have enough Borax and Washing Soda left over for another batch or two. So after the first time, your cost will drop to around 5 dollars give or take! 



Ingredients
·        5 gallon bucket, with lid.
·        Borax
·        Super washing soda (NOT BAKING SODA. IT WILL NOT WORK!)
·        2 bars Fels Naptha
·        I bottle essential oils (optional)


Finely chop your bars of soap. (I cut it into squares and throw it in my food processor to grate.)

Fill a 2-3 quart pot half way with water and dump in your chopped soap. Heat on medium, DO NOT BOIL your soap will make suds and run everywhere! Watch closely and stir off and on until all the soap is completely dissolved. (A few lumps will not hurt it!) Remove from heat.

Fill your bucket half way with cool water. Add 3 cups of borax and 2 cups of washing soda and the entire bottle of oils if you opted for a scented soap. Pour in your melted soap. Use a long handled spoon or spatula and stir well, making sure there are no lumps of borax and it all gets mixed in well. Fill your bucket the rest of the way with water. Stir again. Cover. Let sit over night. (or at least 6 hours)

When your soap is finished it should be about the consistency of Jello.
Stir well to break up. Mix 1 part soap, 1 part water in a container. (I use a old laundry detergent container.) Shake well. Use as you would any other laundry detergent. You have to shake well before you use each time. ENJOY!

This saves my family SO MUCH money! It was costing us about 20 dollars a month for laundry soap, I spend less than that every 6 MONTHS now! A bucket lasts me 2-3 months and I have 4 kids! 

This is something I want to do for you guys every Monday. I am going to be sharing a wide range of DIY projects and cleaning tips! I just love saving money and being self reliant!

If you have any questions please feel free to email me at: getrealblogger@gmail.com

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. crap. i just posted that logged in as my boss. it auto did it somehow.. hopefully you got the post in your inbox or something i deleted it..

    ReplyDelete